While the world puzzles out the newly released iOS11, developers are looking for mobile testing services to make sure their applications will work properly on it. Updating your app to the new operating system is important as unexpected bugs and crashes may damage your company's reputation. To prevent any possible errors of your application when the new operating system is on the board, it is crucially important to perform thorough mobile application testing. Experience shows that a $2 bug missed on the requirements stage will cost you $2K upon release.
So, what are the key features of iOS11 you should pay attention to while testing your mobile app?
- One of the most important things to avoid app testing mistakes is that iOS11 does not support 32-bit applications. If you released your mobile app after February 2015, there is no need to worry, as iOS11 works with 64-bit binaries released during that time. Otherwise, app developers should adapt their product to a 64-bit version.
- iOS11 does not provide first-party support for Twitter and Facebook integrations. Social Library was specially designed for integrating with various social platforms, but in iOS11 Apple decided to remove third-party apps from iOS11 Settings. While most social media developers offer web view logins, it is better to check whether this change affects your app.
- Apple has made some changes in UI, and they should be taken into account in mobile app testing. Particularly, there are drag-and-drop functions that allow users to simultaneously perform multiple tasks. Thus, if your app is developed with native platforms, there is no need to worry. However, if your app is based on HTML5 or other non-native platform, you may find that not all functions of your app work properly on iOS11.
- Apple has replaced the UI Automation framework for XCUITest with a different object tree. Mobile apps require updates in existing scripts to meet the features of the new automation infrastructure. There are, for instance, compatibility to Appium 1.6, support for Siri and 3D touch, as well as new iOS releases and improved script execution performance.
- You should also be ready that some mobile app testing tools are not supported by iOS11. Calabash does not work on iOS11. According to Apple developers, Xcode support on iOS11 should not be expected until Xcode 9 beta 2 release.
- The great thing about iOS11 is the presence of XTCAtachements. These additions to the API in XCUITests allow testers and developers to make screenshots during mobile app performance testing and apply them to the test run reports.
- Apple provides developers with more mobile app testing tools to ease the adjustment process. Headless testing ensures starting mobile app usability testing with the help of core-simulator in headless mode.
With the introduction of the variety of new features, iOS11 is expected to be faster and more productive than previous operating systems. To simplify the process of your app adjustment, it is much efficient to rely on real professionals like TestFort. Our team of high-qualified engineers provides mobile testing services for iPhone apps that will ensure smooth performance of your application on iOS11.
Contact us to know more about testing services for your business.
Created: 13 Sep 2017
LET'S GET STARTED!